Work at Gordon
The Gordon School is a racially diverse nursery through eighth grade coeducational independent school in East Providence, RI. The curriculum is rooted in multicultural practice and social justice, with an emphasis on developing intellectual leadership, active imagination, and a child’s natural inquisitive nature. Students are challenged and inspired to be active workers toward their own education and teachers strive to develop meaningful relationships with each child and family.
We are seeking Teaching Assistants who will help support an interdisciplinary team of teachers in grades N-Kindergarten. The ideal candidate will have experience working with young children and have an understanding of educational, social-emotional, and developmental stages appropriate for the grade. The hours of this position are 8-3:30.
Gordon School is taking all the precautions necessary to keep students, faculty, staff and families safe during this time of Covid 19. All employees and students will wear masks and adhere to physical distancing guidelines. Employees and students are required to complete a daily health screening. Students will be kept in consistent, stable cohorts.
Prerequisites for the Position
- Possess an undergraduate degree at a minimum
- Have experience working with children of this age and with their parents
- Possess the physical and mental attributes required for working with elementary aged children
- Appreciate and enjoy working with children of this age
- Be energetic, creative, flexible, resilient and open to change and new ideas
- Possess good organizational capabilities and be able to implement these effectively
- Have strong interpersonal skills which support and engender trust and be able to work as a positive member of a team of teachers
- Have a deep sense of community, be respectful of adults and children, understand and respect human differences and support multicultural practice and pedagogy
- Have experience working in a racially diverse community
- Be a thoughtful and effective listener
- Be able to communicate with parents, colleagues, and students clearly and accurately, both orally and in writing
- Have a strong sense of self, a good sense of humor, and a positive outlook on one’s professional endeavors
- Familiarity and comfort with digital platforms like Zoom, Seesaw and Google Classroom
Duties and Expectations
- Report to the Early Childhood and Lower School Division Director
- Be responsible for the supervision of a small group of students under the direction of the Lead Teacher
- Under the direction of the Lead Teacher, deliver instruction and support to students throughout their day
- Promote student involvement and participation in all aspects of the program
- Help to set and monitor the tone of the classroom to ensure an environment which is well-ordered and exhibits respect for classmates, teachers, and the school as a whole
- Help to coordinate Zoom meetings for students who are learning remotely.
- If necessary, teach remotely using Zoom, google classroom, Seesaw or other digital learning platforms
- Supervise lunch, recess and help set up learning activities.
- Serve as a substitute teacher when the classroom teacher is not available
Interested candidates should email a cover memo and resume to Cheryl Fanti (email@example.com)
The Gordon School is looking for qualified coaches to fill positions within the following athletic programs for the 2020-2021 school year: Boys (1) and girls (1) lacrosse, track and field assistant (1).
Spring athletic practices run Mondays through Thursdays from 3:20-5:15pm for approximately five weeks. There will be two spring sessions. The next session will be from 3/29-4/29. Because Gordon is not participating in any interscholastic competition at this time, the coach would be responsible for creating a program in which students focus on skill development and teamwork in order to maintain physical fitness. Stipend is commensurate with experience. Assistant coaching positions range from $1,200-$1,500, and head coaching positions range from $1,750-$2,000. Applicants should have a strong work ethic, excellent communication skills, the ability to build positive rapport with adolescents, and be knowledgeable in the fundamentals of the sport program to which they are applying. Coaching and or playing experience is preferred.
If interested, contact Kristen Fraza, Athletic Director via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Gordon School is always looking to develop its substitute teacher roster for assignments in our nursery through eighth grade classrooms, our after school program and summer camp and for our school nurse. Gordon's curriculum is rooted in multicultural education and practice which develops academic skills, critical thinking strategies, active imaginations and children's social competencies. As such, it is important that our substitute pool be comprised of teachers who embrace these same principles. Gordon also requires that our substitutes have, at minimum, a bachelor's degree. If you would like to be interviewed to be included on our substitute list, please send your cover letter and resume to the address below. Or you may email your resume to the Assistant to the Early Childhood and Lower School Directors, Cheryl Fanti (email@example.com). Please be sure to specify the areas you are interested in subbing for.
Attention: Cheryl Fanti
45 Maxfield Avenue
East Providence, RI 02914